Saturday, February 4, 2017

Recommended Reading: The Wild Robot by Peter Brown ~ Lexile 740


It is a treasure when I find a book that I completely fall in love with, and The Wild Robot by Peter Brown is part of my heart right now. It is a recommended read for Grades 4 and up.

Here is the book jacket synopsis:

When robot Roz opens her eyes for the first time, she discovers that she is alone and on a remote, wild island.  She has no idea how she got there or what her purpose is-but she knows she needs to survive.  After battling a fierce storm and escaping a vicious bear attack, she realizes that her only hope for survival is to adapt to her surroundings and learn from the island's unwelcoming animal inhabitants.  As Roz slowly befriends the animals, the island starts to feel like home-until, one day, the robot's mysterious past comes back to haunt her.  From bestselling and award-winning author and illustrator Peter Brown comes a heartwarming and action-packed novel about what happens when nature and technology combine. 
As an educator, was I not only engrossed in the story-line, but the essential question of, "What is belonging?" kept cycling through my mind.  In addition, this story is excellent for teaching and understanding all four types of conflict.

I was completely tickled by the chapter titles and how they connected with the main idea of each chapter.  Students who have difficulty spanning an entire novel will use these chapter titles to help with metacognition as they read.

The ending was a bit of a surprise to me and I anticipate there will be a continuation of Roz's story.  I can't wait!
Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment