Think about it:
1. What words repeat? That would be identifying the topic.
2. Answer the following questions to create your main idea:
- Who is the article about?
- What is the big idea?
- Where did the event(s) occur?
- When did this happen?
- Why did this occur?
- How or how come?
If we use the close reading process, it would look a little like this:
First Read: Circle words that repeat. Identify the topic.
Second Read: Answer the "wh" questions to develop your main idea.
- Write who, what, where, when, why, how/how come in the margins as information is identified.
- Draw an arrow next to ideas you think are supporting details.