Friday, February 7, 2014

Love You When... by Linda Kranz ~ Coordinating Conjunctions



I have been slightly obsessed with Linda Kranz's book, Love You When...
It is beautifully written with lines like,


"I love you when shooting stars appear bright and steady, and we watch them sparkle as they fall to decorate the sky."


Each page is filled with I love you statements, and the last page says, "You mean the world to me." 

Did I say I love this book?  I love this book.  It is the perfect Valentine's Day gift for anyone you love... 

Our fourth grade students are studying Coordinating Conjunctions.  As this book is filled over and over again with {, and} as a conjunction, it is the perfect springboard to practice when to use a comma before the word and and when NOT to use a comma before the word and.

I rewrote several of the pages and placed them on hearts without punctuation.  Students will work in partners to determine if there is a coordinating conjunction and if they need to use a comma.  This is their exit ticket to their Valentine's Day gathering at school.  Perhaps it will be a springboard for your classroom or school as well.




0 comments:

Post a Comment