Thursday, March 21, 2013

Zero by Kathryn Otoshi~Self-esteem for all ages




Zero, by Kathryn Otoshi is my new FAVORITE book for focusing on self-esteem for everyone! 


The book jacket description follows:
"Zero was a big round number.  When she looked at herself, she just saw a hole...right in her center.  Every day she watched the other numbers line up to count.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7... She wanted to count too!  But how could a number worth nothing become something?  Zero felt empty inside.  And so goes Zero's search to find VALUE in herself and in others." 
My favorite quotes comes from the number 7. 
"It's what's inside that counts most," pointed out Seven...."Be open.  You'll find a way."
I can see this book being used with teachers at a beginning of the year in-service and with children of all ages using "I Am" poetry, modified for different levels.  I would snap pictures of each adult/child with his/her arms raised high.  Adults/kids would write an "I Am" poem  to be printed off and glued inside of a cut-out zero and affixed to the hands of the person holding it.  

This could easily be a school-wide activity with pictures and poems placed outside of each classroom.  How powerful of a statement would that make?  To me, VERY powerful!

If you have never heard of "I Am" poetry, here's a link to get you started!  

This activity can be used for developing awareness of characters in a story, but I like to start with self-awareness, first.  It makes sense...

This book is such a great reminder that we ALL have value!
To purchase through Amazon.com click the title: Zero.



0 comments:

Post a Comment