Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall~Lexile 480



The Apple Pie Tree by Zoe Hall is a delightful early literacy book for students PreK-grade 2 which focuses on two main themes:  the sequence of apples growing on a tree and making an apple pie!  

I try to find at least one strong phonemic awareness or early reading skill to go with each book. I chose to focus on the rhyming family of long I at the end of a word as in pie.


Students learning to rhyme need direct one-to-one focus on rhyming words.  The rhyming activity for this book is interactive by putting the rhyming pies in the oven.  Kids open the oven door, pick up a card and "read" the rhyming word.  My "oven" is made from a paper bag from the dollar store.  I don't laminate my items any more.  Kids are allowed to play with them until they are in need of being recycled and then I make a new game.

For students who have more developed rhyming skills and are ready for onset and rime, I have an onset and rime puzzle pieces to place together while stating the onset, rime and whole word.  
Example:  p-ie is pie.




If you are interested in the rhyming words to bake in your oven,click here.

If you are interested in the onset and rime puzzles,click here.

If you would like to purchase a copy of this book through Amazon.com, please click the title. The Apple Pie Tree  

Happy Reading!



0 comments:

Post a Comment